Revision of ISO 19011, the auditing standard, proceeds to CD Stage
On 5th January the ISO announced the publication of the CD (Committee Draft) of a revision to ISO 19011, Guidelines for auditing management systems.
The key points…
- The standard is being revised to reflect the growing number of management system standards (MSS) and the recent revisions of both ISO 9001 for quality and ISO 14001 for the environment.
- Since ISO 19011 was last published in 2011 there were 11 MSS. This has now grown to 39, with 12 others in development. The revised standard will need to be compatible with all these standards and any associated sector-specific guidelines.
- ISO 19011 will continue to be applicable to all organizations that need to conduct internal or external audits of management systems or manage an audit programme.
- For internal audits it will apply to
- audit programmes
- conducting audits,
- organizations implementing management systems, and
- organizations needing to conduct audits for contractual or regulatory reasons.
- For external audits it will apply to certification and supplier audits.
- The revised version of ISO 19011 is due to be published mid-2018.